NFU Online

Smethwick fire shows dangers of Chinese lanterns

The public is being urged to think twice about releasing Chinese lanterns because of the significant risks they pose to fields of standing crops, buildings and to livestock and marine animals.

Chinese lantern_170_255The NFU, Women’s Food and Farming Union and Marine Conservation Society have teamed up to raise the issue once again, following a major fire at a factory in Smethwick, West Midlands, today.

NFU rural surveyor Louise Staples said: “Our members know how dangerous these lanterns can be. They can harm or kill a farm animal which ingests a wire frame in chopped grass. And there’s a fire risk to standing and stored crops, buildings, and of wild fires on moorland.

“As we have seen today, they can also cause severe fires on an industrial scale, an event that left several people injured.

“We really would hope people would think twice about releasing them into the air because of the very real dangers they pose.”

Eunice Finney, vice president of the Women’s Food and Farming Union, said: “These lanterns are far more dangerous than fireworks. We have warned Defra that there could be a death.”

The Marine Conservation Society’s head of conservation, Mike Cook, said that as well as a fire risk, lanterns were also a danger for wildlife through choking and entanglement when they fall back to earth or float out to sea.

“Lanterns floating over the sea have been mistaken for distress flares. We have received reports of numerous false alarms for the Coastguard and RNLI. MCS volunteers regularly find bits of lanterns on beaches during the hundreds of beach cleans we carry out every year.

“The paper may have gone but the frames are still intact and dangerous – both to humans and marine wildlife. These mobile fireballs have to come down somewhere, and it’s often on farmland or out at sea.”

The NFU has received numerous reports of harm to livestock, and in some instances death, caused by cattle ingesting the metal wires contained within the lantern frames. Lanterns can also be also be chopped up during silage and hay making leading to ingestion at a later date, while the wire can also get tangled around the animal’s feet or become embedded in its skin.

The NFU is also concerned about the bamboo frames used in the construction of most lanterns, which are very durable and prone to splintering.


Have your say on this

Your comment will be checked by our moderation team and may be used in other NFU publications. Commenting guidelines

  • Posted by: Hugh LowePosted on: 03/07/2013 16:45:37

    Comment: Why are not people who release chinese lanterns prosecuted for litter dropping? It's the same as dropping litter in a High St.
  • Posted by: RockyPosted on: 03/07/2013 18:11:01

    Comment: Lanterns need to be banned before someone gets killed. There have been several near misses on camping parks. With Dry weather and more to come these lanterns are accidents waiting to happen.
  • Posted by: D.A.HeyPosted on: 04/07/2013 09:59:53

    Comment: we had a field of hay set on fire by a chinese lantern
  • Posted by: Jill BlythPosted on: 10/07/2013 13:26:17

    Comment: Lets stop talking about this and get these things banned ! I suggest we all write to our MPs to put pressure on now.
  • Post a comment:


    © 2016 - NFU Online