There will be 9 Higher-Tier options available in Mid-Tier for the 2018 application window. Making more options available in Mid-Tier is something the NFU lobbied for.
In Mid-Tier these options will have fixed prescriptions and require approval from Natural England before they can be used in an application. To use these options applicants will need to request NE approval by 31 May 2018. This change should mean Mid-Tier will be a suitable for more HLS expirees.
The Mid-Tier versions of the options will be published in January. To date the NFU has not had sight of this detail. The options are:
- BE4 Management of traditional orchards
- GS6 Management of species-rich grassland
- GS9 Management of wet grassland for breeding waders
- GS10 Management of wet grassland for wintering waders and wildfowl
- WD4 Management of wood pasture and parkland
- WT3 Management of ditches of high environmental value (to support GS9 and GS10)
- BE7 Supplement for restorative pruning of fruit trees (BE7)
- SP9 Threatened species supplement (SP9)
- UP2 Management of rough grazing for birds