The NFU's economic intelligence team has published its State of the Farming Economy briefing for June 2019.
The document provides a snapshot of the current economic situation and an insight into the medium-term prospects for the food and farming sector and why agriculture is important to the national economy.
What's in the briefing?
- Updated commodity price analysis and outlook
- The UK economy contracted by 0.4% in April 2019 from the previous month
- UK inflation reached its highest level so far this year in April at 2.1%
- The employment rate for women is the highest on record
- Real wage growth stands at 1.5%, outpacing inflation for the last 15 months
- Aldi and Lidl reached a record market share of 13.8% in the 12 weeks to 19 May 2019
- UK food and drink exports are up 2.5% to £22.6bn in 2018
- Updated data shows agri-food sector contributed £121.7bn to the UK economy in 2017
- Number of people employed in the agri-food sector hits 4m in Q3 2018
Related news and intelligence