The NFU's economic intelligence team has produced a new State of the Farming Economy briefing for December 2018.
The document provides a snapshot of the state of the farming economy including the current economic and farming situation in a post-Brexit economy. It also gives an insight into the medium-term prospects for the food and farming sector and why agriculture is important to the national economy.
What's in the briefing?
- Updated commodity price analysis and outlook
- Weather events in 2018 and weaker pound push up the cost of key inputs
- Short-term outlook for EU agricultural markets in 2018 & 2019
- Farm borrowings reach record £19.3bn
- UK economy grows at fastest rate since late 2016
- Bank of England raises interest rates to 0.75%
- Pound continues to fall as Brexit uncertainty bites
- Agriculture’s contribution to the economy breaks the £10bn mark
- British Farming's key role in the Economy: Picking the positives