Capital gains tax: advice for tenant farmers
This NFU Business Guide document discusses the main ways in which tenant farmers can be
affected by capital gains tax in particular, including:
• compensation for surrender of interests in tenancies;
• transfer of Basic Payment Entitlement;
• receipt of capital payments in connection with pipelines, pylons and other structures;
• taxation consequences when a tenant purchases the freehold of his farm;
• capital gains tax exemption on tenant farmers' "second" homes.
This document is only a general guide. Professional advice should always be sought in relation to the specific circumstances of any proposed transaction.