Information pack providing guidance on police and local authority powers, possession orders and GRC Bailiffs.

Farmer & Grower

Our main category of membership, NFU Farmer & Grower members get access to the full suite of offers including unrivalled professional services and member rewards, expert local and national advice, plus lobbying and representation.

Find out more

NFU Illegal Encampment Service

An illegal encampment, also known as an unauthorised encampment, is the unlawful occupation of land without permission from the landowner or occupier. This constitutes a trespass, which is a civil law matter.

To assist members with illegal encampment problems, the NFU has produced an Illegal Encampment Farmer Information Pack. Contained within this pack is information regarding police & local authority powers, possession orders and GRC Bailiffs.

NFU Farmer & Grower members are entitled to a 10% discount on GRC Bailiffs eviction fees, as well as a 12.5% discount on fees if they instruct the NFU Panel Solicitors to obtain a possession order.

Illegal Encampment Farmer Information Pack

The pack contains information for farmers concerned about the problem, including useful tips on helping to prevent illegal encampments and guidance on what you can do if an illegal encampment occurs on your land.

The following items are included within the pack:

Members who subscribe to the NFU’s Legal Assistance Scheme may apply for financial contributions towards their fees. Each case will be considered on its own facts and merits before financial support is granted (if any at all)*.

*normal Legal Assistance Scheme rules apply.

How do I get a pack?

  • Members should phone NFU CallFirst on 0370 845 8458 and ask to speak to one of our specialist advisors to discuss how to deal with any issues involving unlawful encampments.
  • Guides from the pack can also be downloaded by clicking on the links above (requires member login).

It is strongly advisable to seek professional advice particularly if you are concerned about personally dealing with an illegal encampment.  If you have any concerns about your own personal safety, then seek professional help.

To read more about the NFU’s lobbying activity, please click here.