The NFU's economic intelligence team has produced a new State of the Farming Economy briefing for June 2018.
This document provides a snapshot of the state of the farming economy including the current economic and farming situation in a post-Brexit economy. It also gives an insight into the medium to long-term prospects for the food and farming sector and why agriculture is important to the national economy.
What's in the briefing?
- Growth and inflation forecast downgraded
- UK food prices fall further
- Bank of England keeps interest rate on hold after poor economic data
- Farmgate milk prices fall for the fourth consecutive month
- Farm borrowings reach £18.5bn in April
- Weak pound helps farm profitability to rise, albeit from a low base
- Agriculture’s contribution to the economy breaks the £10bn mark
- Medium-term Prospects for EU Agricultural Commodities 2016-2026
- British Farming's key role in the Economy: Picking the positives.