Blog: Advice on animal transport authorisations

Tom Price animal transport blog_43786

NFU farm safety and transport adviser Tom Price responds to member queries regarding animal transport authorisations. He writes:

The NFU recently reminded members to check animal transport authorisations and to allow plenty of time for renewal, if required.

Members have asked for clarification as to whether separate authorisations are needed for each business they operate in.

We have asked the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) for clarification. APHA have confirmed to us that each legal entity which is engaged in transport operations requires a separate animal transporter authorisation.

This means that if a farmer is operating as a sole trader and transporting animals he will need an animal transporter authorisation in his name. If the same farmer also transports as part of a partnership or as a limited company, authorisations for each separate business entity will also be required in the name of the business entity concerned.

Members can obtain additional help and advice on animal transport and welfare from CallFirst on 0370 845 8458 and from APHA on 03000 200 301.

A member’s briefing on the welfare of animals during transport is available here.

Last edited on: 17:05:2017

Share this story:

NFU members: Have your say

Want to share your views? You must be logged in to comment – please login here. Not a member? Join us here.

© 2019 - NFU Online