Demonstrating competence to use rodenticides

Following an EU directive the HSE is required to put into place schemes to reduce the risk from rodenticides use in the wider environment. Second Generation Anticoagulant Rodenticides (SGAR’s) fail a number of risk assessments. Their continued use in the UK is subject to the successful implementation of mitigation measures; this includes defining who can access professional rodenticides for use in outdoor situations.


Requirements to demonstrate competence by means of suitable certification will come into place soon. Currently the NFU understands that:

  • the authorisation for sales of existing and newly registered rodenticides will expire in November/December 2015,
  • there is a final use up date of 1st June 2016 (dependent on product label).
  • From 1st June 2016 everyone will need a certificate of competence to buy professional products for use outdoors including around buildings (products labelled for indoor use only are not affected by this restriction.)


Therefore, as the situation currently stands without a certificate of competence you will have to either:


  • buy amateur products available in pack sizes up to 1.5kg,
  • undertake certification to continue to access professional pesticides in pack sized larger than 1.5kg or
  • Procure the services of a professional pest controller.


The NFU has been heavily engaged since October 2012 with HSE and manufactures to ensure members are able to continue to access rodenticides (see members briefing and consultation). The NFU is currently working with training providers, other farming unions and levy boards to develop appropriate and proportionate ways to allow farmers and growers to undertake training and certification.


In order to address the needs of the agriculture sector AHDB is developing an online hub that aims to provide free access to materials and training resources in order to provide farmers and growers with the necessary knowledge to undertake the certification test. It is hoped the hub will be available by the end of June.


Further information on the rodenticide hub and other routes to demonstrating competence will be available your content here...

  • Posted by: Ian MonsonPosted on: 02/05/2015 15:16:10

    Comment: I use rodenticides within my farm buildings and would like to buy the larger pack sizes without doing the certification course . Will this be possible or will I be restricted to maximum of 1.5 kegs?
  • Posted by: Suze WildsmithPosted on: 12/10/2015 21:44:57

    Comment: I read that the crru was bringing out an on line exam. I want to take it but cannot find any reference to it anywhere on line. I am a competent user of poisons and have read extensively on the subject. Please can you direct me to the exam as outlined by the crru.

    Many thanks.
  • Posted by: Emma HamerPosted on: 30/12/2015 07:55:24

    Comment: Might be worth updating this? It could include:
    The AHDB training hub is now live. It can be found at
    Also, membership of a CRRU approved assurance scheme will allow the purchase and use of rodenticides up until the end of 2017 and beyond.