NFU Contacts at the Wissington factory
Your NFU representative is appointed by the NFU. Based at the sugar factory they can answer queries regarding sampling procedures and process complaints during the campaign. Direct NFU contact numbers for your representatives at Wissington are:
Tel 01366 377 315
Fax 01366 378 835
Donald Hume Tel 01366 377 481
For any general sugar beet enquiry contact the NFU Sugar HelpLine on 0370 066 1974
Beet Reception Committee members can be contacted where required on the following numbers:
Reception Committee Chairman
David Papworth 01263 733417
Roger Means 01945 773493
Sam Markillie 01485 540259
Wissington factory details
Agricultural Site Services Manager
Darren Thorpe 01366 325262
- The Wissington factory is the largest beet sugar factory in the world and is one of the most efficient in Europe.
- There are 270 employees,up to 350 during the campaign.
- Over 400,000 tonnes of sugar is produced annually at Wissington.
- Three million tonnes of sugar beet are produced by some 1,200 UK growers, at an average distance of 28 miles from the factory.
- Beet samples are analysed in a central tarehouse at Wissington, which also serves all UK factories.
- Wissington also produces 55,000 tonnes of bioethanol per year using their fermentation/distillation plant.