Housing law: terminating an Assured Shorthold Tenancy in England


This business guide explores how landlords are able terminate Assured Shorthold Tenancies (“ASTs”) and regain possession of a private rented property in England.

For terminating ASTs for properties in Wales please see business guide “Housing Law: terminating an assured shorthold tenancy in Wales”.

The information set out in this business guide explains the position regarding ASTs only.  It is therefore important to determine what tenancy you have in place, and our business guide “Housing Law: an overview” will help you to identify this.  If you are unsure, please contact NFU CallFirst on 0370 845 8458 for further advice.