Use our quick links to:
- Find out how to get involved
- Get #BuyMyTurkey social media tips
- Download our shareable graphics
- See examples from previous years' campaigns
Shoppers can find their local turkey producer by putting their postcode into our Turkey Finder at: Turkey Finder | Countrysideonline.co.uk
There are over 200 farms on our Turkey Finder, which includes an interactive map to make it even easier for shoppers to locate their nearest producers.
Value in buying British
The campaign also reminds people who cannot buy from their local farm to look for the Red Tractor logo on turkey packaging when shopping in the supermarket or, if purchasing from a butchers, to ask where the turkey is from.
With the cost-of-living crisis, this year the campaign is focusing on promoting buying a whole bird, which is better value for money and provides many more meals.
Our countryside team has been busy developing delicious turkey recipes to share across our channels Visit: turkey recipes | Countrysideonline.co.uk
“As the highest margins will always be from direct sales at the farm gate, I’d encourage anyone who hasn’t already done so to register their details on the NFU Turkey Finder.”
NFU Turkey Group chair Michael Bailey
To help raise the profile of the campaign and encourage the public to use the Turkey Finder we are asking both NFU members and the wider public to post across social media using the hashtag #BuyMyTurkey on Friday 2 December.
In previous years the campaign has been hugely successful in promoting buying local and British turkeys for Christmas.
What to include in your social media posts:
- Don't forget to use our #BuyMyTurkey hashtag
- Share a link to the NFU Turkey Finder (www.countrysideonline.co.uk/turkey-finder)
- Don't be afraid to use emojis relevant to #BuyMyTurkey. Some of the emojis you might want to use include the turkey, the British or Welsh flag, the Christmas tree emoji, or the dinner plate.
- Be interactive with your target audiences.
- Ask questions such as 'Where will you be buying your Christmas turkey?'.
- Or you could answer topical questions such as 'How do you keep your turkeys happy and healthy?' or 'What do you feed your turkeys?'
- Include eye-catching images or videos of your turkeys and farms.
- Remember, your social media content for #BuyMyTurkey Day will be public facing. This makes it extremely important to make sure your farms are looking smart and tidy, and your turkeys are looking their best.
- Don’t worry if you have sold out of turkeys already, you can share reasons why it’s important that people buy turkeys from their local farmer.
A must-have tool for turkey producers
NFU Turkey Group chair Michael Bailey, said:
“The NFU Turkey Finder is a must-have, free promotional tool for NFU members looking to sell Christmas turkeys directly to the consumer from the farm gate.
“The tool includes options to display your website, phone number and email address so local consumers can easily find your business using the online postcode search tool.
“The Turkey Finder is extremely user friendly and is a fantastic way to direct new customers straight to your door.