Hare coursing – what you can do

03 May 2022

A hare standing up in a field

© Vincent van Zalinge

Hare coursing is a serious crime which puts people, animals and property at risk, and the NFU has been campaigning on members' behalf for better protection for a number of years. Find out what steps you can take to prevent illegal activity on your land – and how you can report it.

The NFU has long been leading the fight against hare coursing on our members' behalf. Even though there have been changes to the law to give police more powers to deal with hare coursers, there are still things you can do to try and prevent this criminal activity taking place on your land.

Steps you can take to prevent hare coursing on your land

  • Consider methods of restricting access to your land, such as blockades in entrance ways, strategic ditch digging and padlocking gates.
  • Ensure that you consult your local rights of way access officer for guidance where public access may be affected. Also check that any ditches or other obstacles do not affect your cross-compliance requirements.
  • Always report incidences no matter how minor so that the police have an accurate reflection of the extent of the issue.

What to do if you have issues with hare coursing on your land:

  • If it is a ‘live’ incident always dial 999, otherwise dial 101.
  • Find out if you have a dedicated rural crime officer with a direct contact number.
  • Make sure you clearly state ‘hare coursing’ to ensure that the incident is recorded correctly.
  • Have field grid references ready – these will ensure police can locate you quickly. Find out how what3words can provide accurate locations for use in these situations.
  • If possible provide a description of the person including notable features, and also descriptions of any vehicles including number plates and any distinguishing features.
  • Be discreet when collecting evidence. Approaching hare coursers whilst holding a camera may be inflammatory. If you use a dashcam you may want to pass any footage to the police as evidence.
  • Ensure that you receive and make note of your crime reference number.
  • Join your local countryside watch if available to gain forewarning of coursers in the area.


We work with BASC (British Association for Shooting & Conservation) on poaching issues, and BASC offers useful advice on what to do if you have poachers on your land:

  • If you see or are aware of poachers on your land and want them off, call the police.
  • Call 999 if a crime is in progress or 101 to report a crime after it has taken place.
  • Give the call taker as much information as you have, such as vehicles used, how many offenders, and if they have firearms.
  • Give as good a location as you can, especially at night.  
  • The most important thing is to get an incident or log number for what you are reporting.
  • You might be told that there is nobody to send immediately, but insist on the incident/log number.
  • Ask for the incident to be forwarded to the wildlife crime officer and the local beat officer.

Project Poacher

We support Project Poacher, an initiative that includes:

  • Advice and support for law enforcers.
  • A free, easy-to-use app for reporting poaching incidents.

NFU members could well find the app a useful tool for reporting poaching crimes (including hare coursing). The app is available for iPhone, Android and Windows Phone and can be downloaded from Project Poacher.

The aims of Project Poacher are to coordinate action across England and Wales through:

  • Prevention – offering best advice to farmers, landowners, gamekeepers, shooting and land management organisations regarding measures to put in place to prevent poaching and disruption mechanisms.
  • Intelligence – to allow the police to target offenders.
  • Enforcement – with good intelligence the police can target poachers through the various rural and poaching based operations run throughout England and Wales.
  • Reassurance – by working together and publicising resulting actions such as activity, arrests, seizures and convictions.

Who to call and when?

Urgent: if a crime is in progress dial 999.

Non-Urgent: dial 101 to report a crime after it has taken place.

Provide information: contact Crimestoppers to give information anonymously. Submit information via Crimestoppers' online form or call them on 0800 555 1111.

Ask us a question about this page

Once you have submitted your query someone from NFU CallFirst will contact you. If needed, your query will then be passed to the appropriate NFU policy team.

You have 0 characters remaining.

By completing the form with your details on this page, you are agreeing to have this information sent to the NFU for the purposes of contacting you regarding your enquiry. Please take time to read the NFU’s Privacy Policy if you require further information.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.