The National Skills Fund helps adults to train and gain valuable skills needed to improve their job prospects and support the economy.
In future years, the government wants to build upon the foundations of the first year of funding to drive even better results. This consultation therefore seeks views on three areas:
- Free qualifications for adults
- Skills bootcamps
- Meeting critical skill needs.
We will be responding to the consultation and welcome your thoughts in forming our response.
Find out more about the consultation
The National Skills Fund contains two schemes: the Lifetime Skills Guarantee and Skills Bootcamps.
This consultation focusses on the following:
- How government can ensure the free level 3 qualifications and Skills Bootcamps are even more accessible to a wide range of people
- How government can ensure the free level 3 qualifications and Skills Bootcamps meet the needs of a range of employers
- How government can make it easier for more providers to deliver Skills Bootcamps
- Progression into level 3 courses and how Skills Bootcamps can fit within longer progression pathways.
- Where the skills system could do more to meet priority skills needs below degree level.
Have your say
The consultation is open until 16 September 2021. If you would like to help shape the NFU response, please contact Alison Taylor by 5 September 2021. Alternatively, you can respond directly to the consultation.
Find out more about the National Skills Fund
The Lifetime Skills Guarantee
The Lifetime Skills Guarantee offers free level 3 qualifications to adults aged 24 and over and who do not yet have A Levels or an equivalent higher qualification. There are almost 400 level 3 courses available, which have been identified to ensure good job prospects, focussing on areas where employers need skills and open up job opportunities that can help adults earn a good wage.
These courses are available at a range of training providers all across the England and there are a number of courses based in agriculture. They include:
- Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Agriculture
- BTEC National Diploma in Agriculture
- BTEC National Extended Diploma in Agriculture
Skills Bootcamps offer free, flexible courses of up to 16 weeks, giving an opportunity to build up specialist skills and fast-track to an interview with a local employer. The courses are available in a number of regions across England and include a range of digital courses, technical training in skills such as engineering, and green skills such as agri-tech.
Skills Bootcamps are available to those aged 19 or over and are available from a range of providers. They include:
- Digital marketing
- Agri-tech dairy
- Agri-tech livestock