New UKCA marking – what is it and how does it affect you?

21 November 2022

An image of a combine harvester in a field of wheat

Since leaving the EU, a new safety standard has been introduced for placing work equipment and machinery on the GB market. Read on to find out what the new changes mean. 

The new UKCA (United Kingdom Conformity Assessed) standard will replace CE marking. It applies to products placed on the market in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and cannot be used on the Northern Ireland market.

Manufacturers place a CE mark on a product to declare it obeys a range of legal requirements. It:

  • shows that the manufacturer has checked that the products meet EU safety, health or environmental requirements
  • indicates a product’s compliance with EU legislation
  • allows the free movement of products within the European market

CE marks are mandatory for a wide range of products that may be used on farm, including most machinery and all personal protective equipment (PPE).

Agricultural and forestry tractors are exempt, however mounted machinery and trailers such as tippers require marking.

Why is the standard changing?

Because we've now left the EU, the requirements for the manufacture and sale of work equipment and machinery have changed. Therefore, a new standard was introduced to ensure that only safe and compliant products are placed on the GB market.

What is the new standard?

The UKCA mark is the new GB product mark for workplace products and other goods. Similar to the CE mark, it is a manufacturer’s declaration that they have met health and safety standards.

When will the UKCA be introduced?

UKCA marking was first introduced on 1 January 2021.

The deadline for when the UKCA mark will become mandatory has been extended until 31 December 2024 to allow businesses more time to transition. From that time onwards it will become mandatory for all new workplace goods products to have the UKCA mark either on the product or with an accompanying label.

What do I need to do now?

If you're purchasing new farm machinery or PPE, ensure that it bears the UKCA mark. This is required by the Health and Safety at Work legislation.

When buying second-hand machinery in Great Britain, it is not a legal requirement to check for the UKCA mark.

However, it is best practise to ensure that all machinery on farm is marked with either the CE or UKCA mark to show the manufacturer has undertaken sufficient health and safety checks.

Remember – always check for obvious damage or defects on machinery, never assume that it is safe just because it is CE or UKCA marked.


Read more around the net

Ask us a question about this page

Once you have submitted your query someone from NFU CallFirst will contact you. If needed, your query will then be passed to the appropriate NFU policy team.

You have 0 characters remaining.

By completing the form with your details on this page, you are agreeing to have this information sent to the NFU for the purposes of contacting you regarding your enquiry. Please take time to read the NFU’s Privacy Policy if you require further information.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.