What the programme entails:
This Student & Young Farmer Ambassador Programme is a year-long series of events designed to give NFU Student & Young Farmer members under the age of 27 the opportunity to impact the future of the agricultural industry by working with the NFU and to put their own stamp on the future of British farming.
Why take part?
- This is an opportunity to represent the younger generation of farmers within the UK's biggest farming membership organisation
- Create long standing relationships with like-minded people from all farming sectors around the country
- Experience new aspects of the agricultural industry from horticulture to dairy
- Be at the heart of political change as it unfolds
- Help the farming industry become more progressive and break boundaries
- It will be an amazing asset to add to your CV
- Promote yourself, your college, or your business locally and nationally
- Increase your knowledge of the inner workings of the NFU
- You will receive training to enable you to write for national publications, present to schools, speak to the media and engage with MPs
What's the application criteria?
- Be an NFU Student & Young Farmer member (It's free! Sign up at www.nfuonline.com/student)
- Aged between 18 and 26 (on 1 January 2023)
- To be located in England or Wales
- Have a vested interest in the future of farming and rural affairs
- Available to attend all events with confirmed dates (see timetable below)
- Those with an interest in speaking to the media and writing for NFU publications
- Be committed to promoting the values of inclusivity and kindness in the industry.
NFU S&YFAP Inclusivity Pledge
We believe the more diversity within agriculture, the more innovative and sustainable the future of farming will be. In line with the NFU’s value of inclusivity, the Student & Young Farmer Ambassador Programme has always welcomed applicants from different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives.
We especially welcome applications from people who feel their community has, so far, been underrepresented in the agriculture industry or in the S&YFAP group, be that in relation to (but not limited to) their race, colour, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression.
What does it cost?
The NFU will ensure that the programme is free for participants, and that Ambassadors are not left out of pocket. All food, overnight stays and travel expenses will be covered as long as participants attend all events.
When are applications open?
Applications are open between 31 August and 31 October 2022. Following a first-stage online application, successful candidates will be invited to a final-stage interview in November 2022.