The Dairy All-Party Parliamentary Group recently launched an inquiry on skills and labour in the sector.
It will focus on three areas:
- Skills in the dairy industry
- The government’s role and actions
- Brexit challenges and opportunities for the dairy workforce.
Simon Hoare, Dorset MP and chairman of the group, said: “The UK dairy industry provides a myriad of jobs from farm to fridge across the country. From farming to processing and manufacturing, from research to marketing and much more, there is something in the dairy sector for everyone.
“As the UK gets ready to write a new chapter of its history, we must help the dairy industry strengthen its position as an attractive industry, with opportunities for all to build a successful and rewarding career. Therefore, the Dairy APPG is keen to hear from dairy experts to get a better understanding of how it can support the sector going forward.”
The All-Party Parliamentary Group is looking for evidence as follows:
Skills in the dairy industry
- Skills and opportunities in dairy farming
- Skills and opportunities in dairy processing
- How to promote dairy careers
- Training and skills development programmes
- Role of the UK government in supporting education and skills development in the dairy industry
Brexit challenges & opportunities
- Migrant labour in dairy farming
- Migrant labour in processing
- Access to European workforce throughout the supply chain
- Education exports (incoming foreign students + outgoing UK students)
- Education: Focus on consumers and the media
Case studies / profiles
- Dairy farmer, food scientist, vet, processing technician, etc…
How you can get involved
About the Dairy All-Party Parliamentary Group
The cross-party group of MPs and Peers aims to provide a forum for parliamentarians to discuss issues of interest for the dairy industry and ensure parliamentarians are fully briefed on developments in the dairy supply chain. All-Party Groups are informal interest groups that have no official status within Parliament and are not accorded any powers or funding by it. The officers of the Dairy APPG are Simon Hoare MP (chairman), Steve Double MP (vice-chairman), Angela Smith MP (vice-chairman), Steven Paterson (vice-chairman) and Margaret Ritchie MP (vice-chairman).