OSH's Rural Industries Group (RIG) is pleased to announce this new networking event on ‘Occupational water safety – a new frontier?’, which follows the recent SHP publication on water safety, written by RIG’s vice chair Alan Plom, in which HSE prosecution revealed significant implications for those responsible for managing operations on water, and the apparent gap in suitable training.
Working in association with the Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK) and Waterwise Training Ltd, this event will raise awareness of the issues and precautions associated with occupational water safety, in order to promote safe working on or near water. This will be done using both RLSS’s ‘National Water Safety Management Programme (NWSMP), and Waterwise’s ‘WaterWise Training Foundation Course’, which are recently developed training packages.
What's in it for you?
This interactive workshop will explore the occupational safety ‘blind spot’ around water safety and will include a number of key presentations, followed by a series of practical demonstrations, all of which are intended to:
- Explore and change cultural perceptions and the occupational safety `blind spot' around water safety
- provide an analysis of relevant incidents
- update delegates on relevant legislation
- inform delegates of examples of good practice and available training
- explore the merits of different approaches to training; and
- encourage joint working and production of further guidance, information and initiatives.
In attending this action packed event, you can expect to learn:
- The typical causes and locations of fatalities (particularly drownings) and injuries, related to working on water
- safe systems of work on/near water
- rescue techniques
- relevant legislation, standards, technology and good practice
- to identify gaps in your own systems and training needs
- identification of further (national) training needs and provisions.
Attending this event also offers you the chance to network with otherdelegates and speakers, and anything you gain from thisevent can be included in your CPD portfolio.
Who should attend
This event is relevant to anyone carrying out or managing work on or near water, and is aimed at both IOSH members and non-members across all industry groups.
What you need to know
A programme for this event is not yet available, but delegates canregister their interestby emailing Ben Pollard, who will get in touch as soon as a programme and online booking becomes available.
- Member full pass: £36.00 inc. VAT
- Non-member full pass: £42.00 inc. VAT
This event will include refreshments.