We've produced a guide for NFU members which explains the basics of the English town planning system.
It explores the reasons why members may need to seek planning permission when they are proposing to erect farm buildings or carry out other works on farm.
The guide is intended as a starting point only, so members can understand the system better. It's always recommended that you seek professional advice before embarking on any project.
It provides a summary of:
- How the town planning system works
- How and when to apply: An explanation of the different types of planning permission, restrictions and time scales
- How planning applications are decided, the procedure and who and what influences decision making
- Key information that will help you understand the town planning process
- How the NFU works to influence the planning system
- Where to find further information.