The NFU supports Project Poacher, an initiative that includes:
· Advice and support for law enforcers
· A free, easy-to-use app for reporting poaching incidents.
NFU members could well find the app a useful tool for reporting poaching crimes (including hare coursing). The app is available for iPhone, Android & Windows Phone and can be downloaded at www.projectpoacher.com
The aims of Project Poacher are to coordinate action across England and Wales through:
- Prevention – offering best advice to farmers, landowners, gamekeepers, shooting and land management organisations regarding measures to put in place to prevent poaching and disruption mechanisms
- Intelligence – to allow the police to target offenders
- Enforcement – with good intelligence the police can target poachers through the various rural and poaching based operations run throughout England and Wales
- Reassurance – by working together and by publicising resulting actions such as activity, arrests, seizures and convictions.