The NFU wants to hear members' concerns regarding the proposed Sainsbury’s/Asda merger. These views will help inform the NFU's ongoing response to the investigation.
Take our five-minute multiple choice questionnaire to give us your views on the impact the proposed merger will have on your farm business. All feedback is anonymous, but if you’d like to be part of an NFU case study, please leave your contact details when prompted and a member of the NFU's food chain team will be in touch to discuss your concerns further.
Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) investigation
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is conducting an in-depth investigation into the proposed merger between Sainsbury's and Asda. As part of this, it is focusing on the following 'theories of harm' that could impact consumers:
- Does the merger increase prices?
- Does the merger lower the quality of products or services?
- Does the merger reduce the range of products or services?
- Does the merger reduce innovation?
The NFU has written to and met with the CMA on several occasions to highlight key concerns, centred around:
- The risk of abuse of market power
- The effect on competition
- The impact on the supply chain and the effect it will have on suppliers and farmers
- The impact that consolidation in the supply chain could have on farmers and consumers