Asda has pledged to increase the proportion of its UK-based suppliers, increase the volume of products such as chicken, dairy, wheat and potatoes purchased from UK suppliers each year, and has made a commitment to source 100% British beef.
NFU Deputy President Stuart Roberts said:
"It’s fantastic to see Asda’s new owners already making such strong commitments when it comes to championing British produce.
“The commitment to 100% British beef and increasing its proportion of UK suppliers across a range of products demonstrates recognition of the values at the heart of British food production – quality, traceability and sustainability.
“This is a very exciting time for Asda and I look forward to continuing our work with the Asda team into the future."
You might also be interested in:
- Did the 'Eat Out to Help Out' scheme support the foodservice industry?
- Defra launches new UK geographical indicator logos
- How does the NFU represent British farmers within public procurement?
- Calling all organic producers - write to your MP on mutual equivalence
- Discounted virtual GSCOP training for NFU members
- AHDB Beef and Lamb Watch: June 2020
More from NFUonline:
- Virtual event: In conversation with the Secretary of State
- NFU Live: Q&A with Minette Batters
- NFU responds to MAC review of Shortage Occupation List
- Lords vote for Agriculture Bill amendment in favour of trade deal scrutiny
- NFU insight: UK government's approach to border controls from 1 January 2021