During the winter months the chances of birds in the UK contracting Avian Influenza increase. Cases in previous years have been in both commercial and backyard flocks - it affects all poultry keepers. The NFU has created a set of resources to highlight the importance of biosecurity and the measures that all keepers should be undertaking in order to prevent their flock contracting the disease.
To read the latest updates and information about Avian Influenza visit the NFU's AI hub.
Keep your birds safe by following our top tips:
- Regularly clean and disinfect hard areas your birds can access
- Practice good rodent control
- Feed and water your birds in an area which wild birds cannot access
- Keep an eye out for mites and worms and treat as necessary
- Avoid sharing water courses with wild birds
- Keep yourself clean by wearing clean boots and clothes and by washing your hands
- Keep the poultry house and equipment clean
- If you are worried about the health or welfare of your birds call your vet
Resources for members
More from NFUonline:
- Visit our dedicated AI hub
- What to do if you are in a Restricted, Protection or Surveillance Zone
- Download the NFU’s guide to avian influenza here