Defra’s command paper “Health and Harmony: the future for food, farming and the environment in a Green Brexit” lays out the government’s views on the future of agricultural policy, and sets out specific proposals and questions for public consultation.
NFU President Minette Batters has urged members to have their say on the biggest farming consultation since 1947, saying: "It's phenomenally important that each and every one of you gets involved in this once in a lifetime opportunity to be shaping our future."
Responding directly via the government’s Citizen Space:
- This involves completing a web-based questionnaire.
- You do not have to reply to all of the questions that are posed.
- You may wish to read through the command paper alongside the NFU’s summary before selecting which questions to respond to.
Responding via email to Defra:
- Members wishing to do this option should either address the specific questions set out in the command paper, or provide more general views and feedback.
- The NFU suggests sticking to the themes and areas of questioning in the command paper. This will make it easier for Defra to collate the feedback. More guidance can be found here.