NFU: Navigating Brexit for British farming
An extraordinary meeting of NFU Council on 10 December 2018 agreed six principles to guide the NFU in aiming to deliver the best outcome from Brexit for British farmers, they are:
- Avoiding a ‘no deal’ outcome and any short-term political and economic turmoil
- Ensuring as free trade in agri-food goods as possible with our principal EU market
- Gaining greater regulatory control and discretion over UK farm practice
- Maintaining access to the seasonal and permanent workforce required by the UK food chain
- Ensuring our international trade respects domestic production standards
- Implementing a new agricultural policy framework that supports farmers as food producers, improves productivity and resilience and properly rewards the delivery of public goods.