The NFU at COP24
The annual United Nations climate talks (COP24) have opened this week in Katowice, Poland, and are presently receiving a lot of media coverage, due to the growing urgency of global action on climate change.
Ceris Jones is representing the NFU, the UK farming unions and the international farmers’ constituency, and has been joined by NFU Environment Forum member Richard Bramley. The NFU and the other UK farming unions are participating in a twitter campaign of key messages around farming and climate change over the two weeks of COP24.
Key agricultural dates at COP24:
2 Dec: WFO (World Farmers Organisation) reception for ‘friends’ of agriculture.
3 Dec: First Koronivia workshop on ‘Modalities for implementation of the outcomes of the five in-session workshops on issues related to agriculture and other future topics that may arise from this work’.
5 Dec: Farmers' Day. A WFO event on its new Farmers' Driven Climate Agenda.
Coverage from COP24
- Friends of farming out in force - NFU climate change adviser Dr Ceris Jones reports from the international climate talks in Poland.
- A farmer-driven climate change agenda - Dr Ceris Jones reports on a new WFO campaign to strengthen the voice of world agriculture in the ongoing climate negotiations.
- NFU Environment Forum member Richard Bramley gives his insight into the debate he took part in at COP24
- The Koronivia 'baby' takes its first steps - Dr Ceris Jones reports from the first workshop in the Koronivia Joint Work on Agriculture negotiations.?
- COP24: 'Vienna settings' and 'landing zones' - Dr Ceris Jones reports from the second week of COP24 as national government ministers begin to arrive.
- Ceris speaks out on behalf of farmers - presenting the Farmers Constituency statement in the high-level plenary session of the UN climate talks.
Check back on this page for live reports, pictures and analysis from COP24, 3-14 Dec inclusive.